Wednesday, May 6, 2009

MOVE CREATIVE ENERGY

When one is using the body most efficiently, with perfect balance, and what Alexander would call proper “use,” there is an increased flow of energy through the body. Eastern systems might call this energy chi. Others might call it life force energy. It is important to recognize how balance (developed through proper body use) affects our lives beyond our physique, and affects the movement of subtle energies.

At my desk working on a creative project, I notice a correlation between my energy level and the use of my body as I sit. When I am conscious about releasing holding patterns of tension that reside in my neck, or back, or hips, I notice energy rises freely up along my spine. I can use this energy to manifest my creative projects.

I visualize this energy rising from the base of my spine and springing forth from the crown of my head like a geyser or a fountain. If I want to bring more energy and awareness through my body, I can visualize this fountain as I walk down the street or go about my day. You might be amazed how much spring this can put in your step! In this instance, the practice of CobraBalance and the Alexander Technique go beyond the work done in the dance studio, the gym studio, or the dojo. It is a practice to use throughout the day, especially while in line at the grocery store!

The idea of creative energy rising through the spine is nothing new. Ancient yogic practices sought to draw kundalini energy up the spine and depicted the energy with the symbol of two intertwined snakes. (Another great image of Cobra as teacher.)

No comments:

Post a Comment